Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Links: June 23, 2009

I love commuting by train. When I moved to California after college, I spent nearly a month on Amtrak to get there and plenty of other places; when I arrived, I found I could get anywhere I wanted to go on foot and by rail, and did so for eight years.
Now, the second deadly commuter-train wreck in a year has me scared. I know, logically, that trains are safer than cars, and I believe in transit-oriented development for cities, in which high-density neighborhoods surround rail stations. But this kind of news rattles loose an illogical fear, and all the descriptions and pictures of the accident feed into it.

Life goes on for Dirk. Meanwhile, his crazy ex-fiancee, oops, I mean his "little jailbird," lives in prison. I usually don't care about athletes' private lives (strip clubs and crazy parties hold little meaning to me if I'm not the one partaking), but this story is too interesting.

Can an unannounced vacation from now on just be called "A Sanford"?

Great political theater in the New York Legislative chambers ...
And here's the New York Times' version of that story.

Heeeeeeeeeeeere's a dead!

No comments:

Post a Comment